Monday, February 14, 2011

Love and Celebrations

Happy Valentine's Day, all. 

I hope you all have nice evenings planned, with whomever or whatever it is you love in your life (family, sweethearts, roommates, reality TV, chocolate, good books, etc). 

Last year on Valentine's Day, Chris and I were in the thick of Mardi Gras. We had a double date brunch with his friends Steven and Caitlin, who were visiting, and then a double date evening with his sister and her boyfriend, which consisted of the four of us fighting our way downtown to catch beads from Drew Brees (swoon) during Bacchus. 

This year, our plans are decidedly different. After Round II of our plyometrics workout (yes, we have to put ourselves through that torture again), we are going to reward ourselves with a romantical meal of ham and cheese crepes and red wine cupcakes. The cupcakes, which I made yesterday, did not rise quite as much as I'm used to cupcakes doing, which concerned me a bit. The batter tasted excellent though, so I'm hoping for good taste rather than good looks with these. I topped them off with cream cheese frosting (which I obviously made pink), and I know that's good. So if all else fails, we'll lick the icing off the top and call it dessert. 

The crepes too are a bit of an experiment, as I've never made them before. I found a very detailed step-by-step online though, so I'm holding out hope. Cross your fingers for me, yes?

Tomorrow our celebrations are continuing. Thanks to an excellent Groupon deal, we're going out to dinner at Lulav, which Chris has wanted to go to for forever. Judging by their menu, which I've been stalking, it should be a very delicious evening. Remember when I said we were loosely sticking to the P90X diet plan? Now you know why. 

Besides Valentine's Day, we're also celebrating Chris getting accepted to grad school! On Friday he found out that he was one of four (yes, four) fiction writers accepted to Cornell's MFA program. Though he's not much for the overenthusiastic celebrations, I am. In fact, so far I think I've shared the news with more people than he has. Anyway, it's very exciting and I'm very proud and happy, so, the celebrations continue!

Happy love day!

P.S. My entire Valentine's Day menu came from the food blog I'm newly obsessed with We Are Not Martha. Seriously, check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment