Thursday, September 16, 2010

The First Two Weeks


As with most things in my life I am, of course, late getting started. Two weeks late, in fact. That's how long I have officially been Living With a Boy in Arkansas. It has been a very full fourteen days. There have been new jobs (mine), illnesses (his), arguments (various guilty parties), and, perhaps most importantly, lots of excellent football victories: my hometown Redskins (hail victory!), my adoptive hometown-for-four-wonderful-years, New Orleans' Saints (who dat!), and my current home-state's beloved Razorbacks (go hogs!).  

And, Chris (the aforementioned boy) and I have been putting a lot of work into getting our little house all set up. Actually, part of the problem— we discovered just last night—is that it's not actually all that little. We have lots of wall space, and only so many pictures that have managed to make the transition from college-appropriate to real world-appropriate. Anyway, we're working on it.
And, the truth is, besides hanging things on the wall (my favorite way to while away the hours, or so it would seem based on how often I've suggested we do just that in our spare time), we're pretty much done. Our living room is all set up, with a couch and a rug, and a TV, and an electronic beer sign in the fire place. We managed to wrangle a lot of furniture out of our families (many, many thanks to all), so we had most of the big pieces from the get-go, which made the process a lot easier. The dining room has a big glass table, and four chairs, the kitchen is well equipped (minus, we've realized several times over, a can-opener). Our second bedroom we've opted to use as a study, and we each have a desk in a separate corner in the room. There was some debate over whether to position said furniture to face the wall, or to face into the room and each other, but we ultimately decided to go for the second option. Our bathroom is pretty standard, save for a particularly inspired choice of a shower curtain (if I do say so myself), and the green tile floor, which we both love.  

Our bedroom has proved to be the trickiest. The closet, to begin with, is not big enough for two, but that was settled rather easily, as Chris graciously surrendered it to me, and took the study closet for his own. Our contrasting dressers are very cutely lined up against the left wall as you enter the room, and up until two nights ago, our bed lined the right-hand wall. Now, however, only the head of the bed is against that wall, and it juts out into the middle of the room. This is my first experience with a bed  that is not in a corner, but so far, I'm liking it. Chris, understandably, wants a bedside table for his side too.
Just a few more tweaks needed before I'm ready to take pictures to broadcast to the masses. Stay tuned.
In further news, my driving radius is increasing all the time. While I do tend to stick to the same five roads (those being the ones necessary to get from our house, to Chris's work to drop him off, and then to my work), on Tuesday I managed to venture across the bridge to North Little Rock for a meeting at the Arkansas Boathouse Club (more on that later, perhaps). Of course, Chris had written out detailed directions for me. But still. Progress is being made. 

Also, since today is my long day at work (we go to press on Thursdays, so the editorial staff stays put until the paper is done…which could be whenever), the lovely boy I'm living with is taking me out to dinner when I finally am released from the clutches of the Arkansas Business Publishing Group.
Speaking of long, sorry this is! More later, as my so-far-fantastic experiences of Living With a Boy in Arkansas continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment