Thursday, November 18, 2010

DIY

Last weekend, in a burst of energy (and/or guilt at having done nothing else productive the entire weekend) I re-covered our dining room chairs. 

We got the chairs from Chris's dad and stepmom, who had them in their attic, and though they are nice chairs and the perfect height for our table, their cushions, shall we say, were not exactly my style. 

I meant to re-cover them two months ago, when I bought the fabric to do such a thing, but of course never managed to get around to it. With the rest of our house in entirely livable condition, it gets harder and harder to worry about the tiny little details. 

But, as I said, I'd spent the rest of the weekend flopping around the house, watching the Harry Potter marathon on ABC family, and the weekly Sunday marathon of Law and Order: SVU. So, I determined to do something worthwhile. 

It's sort of amazing the difference it made. All of a sudden, we had our chairs, not just chairs that we had gotten from Chris's dad (though of course we are eternally grateful for the loan). I am quite possibly the least artsy person on the planet, and I generally have to have pages of detailed instructions for even the most basic DIY project. Occasionally, though, I have bursts of handiness, and one hit me on Sunday at just the right time.

And, as is to be expected, with the completion of that project, there are suddenly dozens more that I want to undertake. I want to hang more pictures, clean more surfaces, and start brainstorming our holiday decorations. The boy I'm living with is, happily, game, and in fact has already bought our Christmas lights. Rest assured; we won't be putting them up until after Thanksgiving. We have standards. 

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I am six and a half (including one press day) days away from being home for the holiday! Besides seeing the fam (holler), I am most excited to eat stuffing, see how our den looks without a carpet, spend time with Polly (who is hopefully planning for this as well) and see the dog. In no particular order.

1 comment:

  1. My name mentioned in a blog!! I never though I would see the day. And duh I'm planning on it. Aside from trying to work my butt off as well

    ReplyDelete